Traffic Ticket Fines and Penalties
Traffic ticket fines and court fees in Oregon vary by offense and district court. To find out how much you will owe for your penalty, refer to your traffic ticket or contract the district court that is handling your case.
How your driving record will be effected
In addition to paying a fine, Oregon's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) maybe restrict or suspend your driver's license if you have repeated offenses.
If you are 18 years or older and ANY of the following, the Oregon DMV will restrict your driving privileges for 30 days:
- 3 convictions
- 3 accidents
- A combination of convictions or accidents total 3 or more within the last 18 months
If you are 18 years or older and have ANY of the following the Oregon DMV will suspend your driving privileges:
- 4 convictions
- 4 accidents
- A combination of convictions or accidents total 4 or more within the last 24 months.
Driver Improvement Program
If you've been convicted of multiple issues related to driving, the DMV may ask you to complete a Driver Improvement Program.
Pay a Traffic Ticket in Oregon
Paying a traffic ticket varies by court. There are usually four ways to pay traffic tickets:
- By Mail
- By Phone
- In Person
Lost Your Traffic Ticket
If you've lost your traffic ticket, contact the district court that is responsible for your ticket.
You may need to provide some personal information, such as:
- Oregon driver's license number
- License plate number
Fines & Penalties for Commercial Drivers
With some offenses, you'll lose your privilege to drive for 1 year. Here are some examples:
- Leaving the scene of an accident.
- Operating a commercial vehicle when your license is revoked, cancelled, suspended or you have been disqualified from operating a commercial vehicle.
- Operating a commercial vehicle with a blood alcohol level above .04% or under the influence of a controlled substance such as marijuana.
- A fatality that is the result of negligence while you are operating a commercial vehicle.
- Refusing to take a sobriety test.